Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The split



The day started very well, we got up early, ate, and headed out. I had to stop in Fort Bragg to get some cash at the bank and when I came back our trip had changed.

Heidi wanted to go to Yukiah to visit a monastery she had seen years before. That would entail taking a train there because it was about 50 miles east. She decided and got on the train in like 15 minutes, George and I were dumbfounded and had no idea what to do. I tried to figure out a list of things we should give her in case of something but all I could think of was tools. George gave her his multitool.

I didn't stop her because I knew she could take care of herself. She was more able then both George and I combined. She had to go there for a reason that I do not want to talk about so I understood her decision to go. I just wished she gave us a better heads up than 15 minutes. I barely was able to get a hand wave before she left.

George and I rode on, it felt weird with only the two of us. We got to Mendocino State Park to see the best coast I've seen on this trip. I saw that something was eating up George.

We headed up further and he stopped me. He wanted to go back. About 5 miles back there was a highway heading to Yukiah. He was going to go back and try and find Heidi. He was worried about her, I think he thinks it is his fault she left. Well we traded gear really quick on the side of the highway and he was off. We shook hands, looked eachother in the eye. He went back.

So why didn't I go. One of the biggest regret I have with this trip is not doing it solo. But that wasn't the case at this moment. For me heading to Yukiah meant another day away from home. I can't explain it, I really want to get home. It is not the comfort, or the lack of responsibility, I really can't explain it. I need to get back and finish my med school application. I need to get back because I miss my girlfriend dearly.

This trip has brought a lot of light into me. And I feel like I'm finally ready to go back to the real world.

So folks, I'll be home in about 2-3 days. I'll be pushing myself fairly hard to get the miles in to get back home. Only 135 more miles baby and I'll be at home watching the Tour de France.

No comments:

Post a Comment