Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Who has the time?



Camping alone was a bit lonely until Brendan came in. It was nice to have someone to talk with because everyone around me was with their families and did not want to associate with a dirty biker. I found out that he was heading to San Francisco in two days so I decided to travel, well somewhat travel, with him.

The ride started with a small detour to a lighthouse located on the most western part of the continent to Hawaii. The day had a few climbs but nothing too major.

It was great riding alone, no offense to George and Heidi. I was able to stop anywhere I wanted, have lunch anywhere, do anything I wanted basically. For instance I stopped in the town of Gualala and made a detour to get to the beach from Gualala State Park. I sat there and enjoyed the view and just took a small afternoon nap. I got up and went on my way.

Riding down around a turn I'd be smiling when looking at the ocean. This re-emergance of bicycle touring in me was great and for that moment I was so glad I was still on the road.

I ran into two other tourers that were heading to SF. John and Laura were very nice and for the next few days I'd run into them randomly on the road.

The last big climb for my trip showed me the wonder of Highway 1. The winding narrow road were etched into the mountain and right off to the side was the drop to the beach. It was terrifying going downhill into a turn because there wasn't the assurance of hitting a tree if I wasn't able to make the turn. It would just be a great dive into the ocean rocks.

At a construction zone, Brendan caught up with me and we travelled towards our last campsite. The campsite was wonderful because of all the characters we met. It was a very interesting group of people because of them were scholars. I was not able to keep up with the conversation because I wasn't too environmentally knowledgeable like they were.

All of them, well most of them were heading to SF the next day. A whole group, like six were about to take over the road to the Golden Gate Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment